I like the Green New Deal at the moment. The idea of transitioning to an environmentally sustainable economy that stays within global boundaries while providing jobs and prosperity - all sounds pretty good.
However, I'm not really aware of all the details, and I know there are critiques of it, and I'd like to read up on those.
2. As a policy
They make some good points about it on this episode of NovaraFM:
- it works best as a policy if its very bold - e.g. 2030 as the target
- it is superficially quite easy to understand, even if you don't dive into all of the depth behind it
- it could work as a bold single issue policy that counters the 'get Brexit done' single issue policy of the Tories
- it needs to be framed with an antagonist - in this case, the 1% who need to pay their taxes in order to provide the money to fund it
3. Clean energy jobs
Coalfield communities built our wealth and influence at great cost. We are owed new clean energy jobs and the infrastructure to create them.
4. Dencentraliesd ownership
- Green new deal fits well with decentralised worker ownership
The so-called “green new deal” is willing to create hope, but is giving space to companies, corporations and governments dedicated to exploiting and destroying nature. – About the climate strike and the dark sides of the “green new deal”
In contrast to the failed neoliberal attempt to address rising CO2 levels by creating a market for carbon credits, the GND puts forward a green Keynesianism that places public job creation and enhanced social welfare at the center of its decarbonization strategy.
8. Useful links
9.1. In my garden
Notes that link to this note (AKA backlinks).
- community networks
- GND vs Degrowth. Live Panel from Labour Conference 2021
- A Green New Deal that Works for People and Planet with Max Ajl
- Ecosocialism and the ecological crisis
- The Care Manifesto
- First and Third World Ecosocialisms
- Climate Change as Class War: Building Socialism on a Warming Planet
- Ecological Leninism with Kai Heron
- Municipal socialism
- non-reformist reform
- Environment & nature
- Ecosocialism for Realists: Transitions, Trade-Offs, and Authoritarian Dangers
- The Future is Degrowth
- The role of technology in eco-socialism
- The Lucas Plan
- Seagreen wind farm