Moving my WordPress installation to YunoHost*
I moved my WordPress install from GreenHost VPS to a WordPress install on my YunoHost server.
GreenHost are a great company, but I was almost permanently getting the 'Error establishing a database connection' error on the install. Not sure why.
I briefly dallied with a fresh VPS at Hetzner just for the purpose of the WordPress install, but it felt a bit overkill, and also when going through some of the steps of Ubuntu 20.04 basic server setup (but for latest Ubuntu) it all just felt a bit of a faff these days. Why not let YunoHost take care of the fiddly bits of the server setup (including security aspects like fail2ban, firewall, etc) and just get my a WordPress install to work with?
So I did that.
- point my doubleloop.net domain at the YunoHost IP
- add a new domain in YunoHost
- self-signed cert to begin with
- set up SSL with Let's Encrypt on the domain
- it wouldn't let me for a while, but I think adding the CAA record for Let's Encrypt helped, or maybe my DNS records just took a little time to propagate
- Install WordPress app to the new domain in YunoHost
- Once installed, follow the steps here for migrating a WordPress install: https://www.snel.com/support/how-to-duplicate-a-wordpress-site/
- I usually just use Duplicator for this, but because the MySQL connection was constantly failing, it wasn't working
- Location of new app in YunoHost was /var/www/wordpress
- Had to chown -R wordpress:www-data ./* on all the new files
And it's up and running, relatively painless all told. Also it's so much faster now.
I notice that the SSOwat single sign on doesn't work into Wordpress - I have to log in again with my WP details. Which makes sense, as I restored from the backup which has different login details to Yuno. But I wonder if by design it would work out of the box for a fresh install, and whether I can fix it for my restored WP.
- The upgrade from 6.1 to 6.2 happened via yunohost system update screen, rather than within wordpress itself - interesting.
- Upgrading from 6.1 to 6.2, noticed that it's running on MariaDB rather than MySQL. Probably fine, but worth being aware of.
- Doing a general updates on Yunohost, that knocked out the website briefly, and ungracefully, with the ol classic 'Error establishing a database connection'. It came back up again after the updates. It was probably PHP or MariaDB being upgraded, I suppose.
2.1. In my garden
Notes that link to this note (AKA backlinks).