I really like the Lucas Plan. An example of how reskilling of skilled workers could be possible and could all come from the workers themselves, not a top-down decree. It is a positive example of how reskilling could work under the Green New Deal.
- rampant Taylorism would make reorienting factories more difficult
- machines and people are so specialised to one product, they don't have general skills needed to be repurposed?
- Workers plan from 1976 at Lucas Aerospace on how to avoid job losses by producing things useful to society
- "the Combine argued that state support would be better put to developing products that society needed"
- It included ideas of things the factory could make to reskill workers
- these were all pretty compatible with current energy transition requirements
- heat pumps, solar cell technology, wind turbines and fuel cell technology