- Listened: Entropy and the Capitalist System with Robert Biel
- A treasure trove of info, this podcast.
- Listened: Microdose: Californian Capitalism
- Interesting interview with Malcolm Harris about his Palo Alto book.
- In one part he questions some of the narrative of The Californian Ideology, would be interesting to follow up on that.
- Bookmarked: Class Warfare in the Information Age
- Written in 1998, but looks pretty prescient…
- "In the future, Perelman argues, it will still become a class-based privilege to access and afford information, and the rights of individuals will disintegrate as the power of the corporate sector grows."
Reclaim Roundup: August 2023
- Probably need another name - Reclaim Hosting uses 'Reclaim roundup'.
- I changed it to: Reclaiming the stacks: August 2023 roundup
- Read: How an eccentric English tech guru helped guide Allende’s socialist Chile
- Read: ChatGPT Will Command More Than 30,000 Nvidia GPUs: Report
- AI driving the manufacture of a shit-ton of hardware. And the negative environmental impact associated with that.
- Read: The Generative AI Race Has a Dirty Secret
- Not really a secret - they use a vast amount of energy. And this is set to increase as they get integrated into search engines.
- Read: Big win for right to repair with new EU rules for batteries - but legislators must get the implementation right
- Good right to repair news - progress on battery removability and availability. Though still lacking on the affordability of repair.
- Read: Meta report shows the company causes far more emissions than it can cover with renewable energy
- Similarly to Microsoft (Microsoft's dirty supply chain is holding back its climate ambitions), Meta has huge emissions, most of which are scope 3 (i.e. from it's ecosystem and supply chain), and apparently it doesn't know what to do about them. Couple of ideas: (a) consider degrowth; (b) use your considerable clout on your supply chain, rather than pretending that you are helpless to do anything about it.
- Read: ICT: A top horizontal priority in sustainable product policy
1.1. In my garden
Notes that link to this note (AKA backlinks).