Some notes I took as I was listening:
- Stafford Beer got to some of his ideas via influence from his time in India
- You could probably get to the ideas via multiple routes though, e.g. via Deleuze & Guattari.
VSM can gives you both autonomy AND cohesion
- And help avoid the tyranny of structurelessnes
- VSM provides a framework for how organisation in communism might work, once the state has withered away
- VSM can help identity what is the ACTUAL purpose of an organisation, often different to what the STATED purpose of the organisation might be. (Example: e.g. a group states their purpose is to overthrow capitalism, but empirically their actual purpose is to sit around drinking coffee.)
- In VSM management becomes a function of the overall system, not an individual role attainable only by those with a class privelege.
- We should think of VSM as an explicitly socialist technology.