- Elinor Ostrom's Rules for Radicals: Cooperative alternatives beyond markets and states
a resource arrangement that works in practice can work in theory
^ In a very small nutshell that sums up Ostrom's huge contribution to the commons.
1. Building on Ostrom
Ostrom worked from the perspective of the rational-actor school of economics and a focus on resource management at small scales. So she worked within a limited analytic framework and did not engage with political economy.
To the extent that Ostrom and many other commentators, economists, and politicians focus on the Commons as chiefly a resource, it shifts attention to social and political questions of how a Commons organises itself into the background. It adopts the standard rational actor frame of Homo economicus and puts into the background the contestable, negotiable, circumstantial ways in which social governance emerges.
2.1. In my garden
Notes that link to this note (AKA backlinks).
- 8 principles for managing a commons
- Governing the Information Commons
- Beyond the horizontal and the vertical
- Commoning is a good way to solve coordination problems
- Thoughts on Ostrom's Rules for Radicals, Chapter 1
- Institutional Analysis and Development
- Elinor Ostrom's Rules for Radicals
- Governing the Commons