I'm very much into the idea of cooperatives. I don't have any experience of working in one myself (yet), but have worked with some, and try to buy goods/services from them when I can.
A co-operative is an autonomous association of persons united voluntarily to meet their common economic, social, and cultural needs and aspirations through a jointly-owned and democratically-controlled enterprise.
4. Are they a challenge to capitalism?
…if cooperatives are islands in a sea of capitalism, we need better catamarans, bridges, and data lines to connect them to each other and to other transformative economies.
I think the same could be said about free software. Both coops and free software are non capitalist, but in and of themselves aren't a strategy to end capitalism or even a real threat to the capitalist system. In the worst vein, they provide a strategy for a privileged few to avoid some exploitative aspects of capitalism. There is enormous potential to organize within these movements to actively struggle against capitalism. But I'm not sure how to do this.
9. Copper lane cohousing
Novara Media https://youtu.be/yjbtCVTWCas
Cooperatives formalize the practice of commoning and facilitate legally regulated operations in the marketplace.
Cooperatives worldwide have a combined turnover of US$3 trillion, which is similar to the aggregate market capitalization of Silicon Valley’s greatest players (Microsoft, Amazon, Google, Apple and Facebook).
11.1. In my garden
Notes that link to this note (AKA backlinks).
- principles for ethical technology
- The Preston Model
- Why are co-ops relevant in a time of political and economic crisis?
- SMOOTH CO-OPERATORS: the power of co-ops to transform society
- Coop incubators
- Cooperation Jackson
- Platform coops
- Revolution in the twenty-first century
- Impact investing
- Capital markets must be socialized
- community broadband cooperative
- Coops and socialism
- Nathan Schneider - Cooperatives, the Commons and Ownership
- What is the relationship between cooperatives and the commons?
- Coops and commoning
- Conversations with Gamechangers: Cooperation Jackson