1 Elsewhere in the garden
Notes that link to this note (AKA backlinks).
- Protocol cooperativism
- is controlling the means of production enough?
- are worker-owned coops enough?
- Power is currently too entrenched
- "Yet there is nothing about the internet that necessitates that capital-centric way of creating wealth"
- "Platform cooperativism is the notion the digital 'means of production', the platform, should be owned by, governed by and should enrich the participating value creators."
- query: are platforms the digital means of production?
- "As an approach and as a tactic, it is a straight extension of rudimentary 19th Century cooperativism into the digital age and cyberspace. In which case we should anticipate it working as it always has on the sidelines but never to impact the wider economy."
- protocol cooperativism
- it stopped (for a while) the early internet being dominated by corporations
- commonly agreed ways of operating
- "protocols are fundamentally cooperative, but there is room for any kind of institutional structures on the next layer."