2 European Union
- regulation vs directive
- 'regulation': means that it will be a legal act and enforceable in its entirety across all member states (e.g. GDPR)
, - 'directive': allows each member state to introduce its own mechanisms for the law provided they match the spirit of the original directive
3 Labour policies
- Green New Deal with 2030 net zero target
- this sets the paces of it - it means you have to start doing radical things now
- you have to start talking about economic transition
- it changes the frame of all other policies as well
- some of the big unions are on board
- syndicalist approach part of it - industrial revolution from below, what does it look like for towns and cities?
- 4 day working week
- public ownership of pharmaceutical research
4 Regional politics and the politics and the North-West of England
8.1 Elinor Ostrom
13 Social and Solidarity economy
- Means and ends
- Prefiguration alone makes you a pocket in isolation, just or doing charity work. It needs some structure and greater organising to go with.
- But just structure and planning without prefiguration means you lose sight of where you're going.