2 European Union
- regulation vs directive
- 'regulation': means that it will be a legal act and enforceable in its entirety across all member states (e.g. GDPR)
, - 'directive': allows each member state to introduce its own mechanisms for the law provided they match the spirit of the original directive
3 Labour policies
- Green New Deal with 2030 net zero target
- this sets the paces of it - it means you have to start doing radical things now
- you have to start talking about economic transition
- it changes the frame of all other policies as well
- some of the big unions are on board
- syndicalist approach part of it - industrial revolution from below, what does it look like for towns and cities?
- 4 day working week
- public ownership of pharmaceutical research
4 Regional politics and the politics and the North-West of England
8.1 Elinor Ostrom
8.2 Commons-based peer production
radically decentralized, collaborative, and nonproprietary; based on sharing resources and outputs among widely distributed, loosely connected individuals who cooperate with each other without relying on either market signals or managerial commands
13 Social and Solidarity economy
- Means and ends
- Prefiguration alone makes you a pocket in isolation, just or doing charity work. It needs some structure and greater organising to go with.
- But just structure and planning without prefiguration means you lose sight of where you're going.